Advance your existing aromatherapy certification to become a clinical aromatherapist, teach your own aromatherapy programs, publish peer-reviewed research articles, or expand your essential oil business.
Are you ready to take your aromatherapy career to the next level?
Essence of Thyme's Certified Master Aromatherapist Program is a 330‑hour internationally recognized online program that builds on your existing Level 2 aromatherapy certification, such as our Professional Level Certification Program, and prepares you for clinical aromatherapy practice, becoming an aromatherapy educator or researcher, or enhancing your work in allopathic or holistic health.
You’ll study 45 essential oils and the research and chemistry that validates their therapeutic properties, as well as their pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. You’ll learn how to critically assess research to make informed blending decisions or write for peer-reviewed publications. Explore crucial issues like plant conservation and sustainability, aromatherapy and cancer, and how to preserve your products, as well as advanced application methods and blending techniques. We’ll also cover advanced business topics from ethics to marketing.
You’ll have the skills, confidence, and leadership to share your work in aromatherapy at a level in line with industry experts.VIEW THE CURRICULUM
The Essence of Thyme Certified Master Aromatherapist Program prepares you to:
- become a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist — utilize aromatherapy protocols and scientific evidence to support your existing work in allopathic or holistic health, such as nursing, hospice, massage, or naturopathy
- publish your own aromatherapy research articles in peer-reviewed journals such as the International Journal of Professional Holistic Aromatherapy and gain credibility and recognition
- give professional presentations on specialty topics in aromatherapy
- write and teach your own aromatherapy programs for medical centers, corporate wellness programs, or your local community
- take your own essential oil or aromatherapy business to the next level — rise above the competition with unique essential oil blends and ethically sourced products that are formulated and preserved in accordance with regulatory guidelines
- ethically source your materials with expertise and knowledge — help to protect threatened plants and the planet
“When I decided to study aromatherapy, I was drawn to Essence of Thyme's program because of their focus on science and research. I felt like the program would give me the foundation I desired and the tools I need to continue in the field in the future. I love the relationships I have developed with other students and the staff at Essence of Thyme.“
Cheryl Whitten, BA
“I was able to publish my research paper in a peer-reviewed journal and formally present my case study research on aromatherapy and stress reduction at a Canadian Mental Health Association annual conference with the encouragement of Dr. Ablard. I continue to teach my own students around the world and very much enjoy the graduate access to continuing education and lectures from the College.”
"I was shocked at how extensive the program was. Colleen and Kelly give you the support and opportunities to succeed in this program. You learn, not only from their expertise, but also from a wide variety of experts in this field of study. This course will exceed your expectations!”
- 45 essential oils
- 16 carrier oils
- 18 CO2 extracts
- 7 hydrosols
- ...and one elective course of your choosing
- comprehensive, detailed monographs for 45 essential oils and 16 carrier oils including therapeutic benefits, safety, conservation status, and history
- expert personal mentorship and support as you complete your 15 case studies
- lifetime 24/7/365 access to your course materials
As an Essence of Thyme Master Level student, you'll also get:
- access to the Essential Library: a comprehensive archive including 10 years of monthly lectures, practitioner manuals, and additional study resources
- personal support via email or our private student forum
- a 20% discount on Airmid Institute membership and access to all benefits of the Airmid Institute Plant Protector Program
- 1-on-1 private advising with Colleen Thompson, founder, or Kelly Ablard, co-principal
- monthly live, interactive lectures with leaders in the field of aromatherapy and plant medicine
- no matter where you are in the world, upon graduation, you qualify for membership in 5 international professional aromatherapy organizations
Download the list of essential oils, CO2s, hydrosols, and extracts that are covered in the Certified Master Aromatherapist Program.GET THE LIST
Choose your advanced elective and grow your expertise
The best way to be successful as a professional aromatherapist is to specialize in a particular area. This gives you the advantage of creating your own niche and becoming an expert in the field.
The Certified Master Aromatherapist Program includes one advanced 50-hour elective, included in your tuition. Options include the Essence of Thyme Teacher Training Program, aromatherapy for hospice, or animal aromatherapy. Once you’ve completed your Master Level coursework, you'll select and begin your elective.APPLY FOR THE CERTIFIED MASTER AROMATHERAPIST PROGRAM
Why choose Essence of Thyme College of Holistic Studies?
Essence of Thyme College of Holistic Studies sets the Gold Standard for aromatherapy certification. We uniquely prepare you to make a difference in the field with advanced programs that help you create a successful, fulfilling career by specializing and creating your market niche.
Understand the Research
Current research forms the cornerstone of our programs, so you'll always have cutting-edge information at your fingertips... and most importantly, you'll know how to use it.
Specialize Your Career
Your program includes one 50-hour elective to help you define your niche. Options include our teacher training program, aromatherapy for hospice, and animal aromatherapy.
Learn from Experts
Surround yourself with the best teachers. Our world-renowned faculty has decades of experience in research, spa and business management, and sustainability and conservation.
You'll be fully supported.
Not only do we offer 1-on-1 support so you have direct access to our renowned instructors, but you also have an attendance pass to join our interactive monthly live lectures so you can stay motivated and on the cutting edge, learning from experts in the field on topics ranging from hydrosols to plant sustainability to business-building strategies.
And we didn’t stop there!
You also receive...
- your own personal mentor as you complete your case studies
- access to our private student forum, led by our expert instructors
- monthly live, interactive open forums where you connect with instructors and meet your fellow students
- access to our Essential Library: a comprehensive 10-year archive of recordings and supplemental material presented by leading experts from all over the world, as well as resources above and beyond your curriculum
This is one of the most comprehensive and recognized aromatherapy certifications available today. We’d love for you to be a part of it!
Here’s what you get when you learn from us.
Our dedicated and inspirational team promises to support your success and to provide you with the skills you need to create a unique path as a highly knowledgeable, sustainably minded, and dynamic aromatherapy professional.
Guidance and Motivation
We take guiding and motivating you on your journey very seriously. You get direct mentorship and support from our expert team, exclusive access to live talks by leading experts in the field, personal advising and monthly open forums, and a private student forum to connect with students from all over the world. This goes far beyond what you get with any other online aromatherapy certification program.
Updated and Unique Curriculum
Essence of Thyme sets the gold standard in aromatherapy education. We ensure a comprehensive, self-paced, and interactive online curriculum that is updated annually. Our curriculum is unique because it includes videos and lessons by top experts in the field which have been specially developed just for our programs.
We're committed to the protection of threatened essential oil-bearing plants and to ethical sourcing of essential oils. Essence of Thyme is a member of the Airmid Institute Plant Protector Program, providing you with the right tools to protect and heal the very same plants that we use for healing.
We love to provide you with extra perks to help you stay motivated while learning! Quizzes and prize drawings, special discounted rates on additional Essence of Thyme expert-led courses, and a student discount on the LabAroma Grow plan and Blend Precisely are just a few of the ways you'll benefit from being an Essence of Thyme student.
Qualify for Professional Associations at the Highest Levels
Upon successful completion of the Certified Master Aromatherapist Program, you are eligible to join these international professional aromatherapy associations at their highest levels of membership:
- Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA): Advanced Practice Clinical Aromatherapist (APCA)
- National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA): Certified Clinical Aromatherapist (level 3)
- Canadian Alliance of Aromatherapy (CAOA): Registered Aromatherapist® - RA® and Essential Oil Therapist® - EOT® (level 3)
- International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA): Full Member
- New Zealand Register of Holistic Aromatherapists (NZROHA): Professional Member
You’ll be recognized as a certified aromatherapist with international credibility, qualify for practitioner insurance, and remain connected to leading experts and breakthroughs in the field through conferences, webinars, and newsletters.
You'll have hands-on support from our founders, Colleen and Kelly, who have decades of combined experience in education, research, sustainability, and the business of aromatherapy.
Colleen Thompson, Cert Ed, MIFPA, RA®, EOT®, CA
After 20 years in the field of banking, Colleen was completely transformed by the pain-relieving effect essential oils had on her chronic migraines.
Since that “aromatic” moment in 1995, she began her journey in the field of Aromatherapy and has been a Registered Aromatherapist since 1997.
She incorporated her business, Essence of Thyme Ltd., in 1995, and over the course of 12 years owned three aromatherapy stores and a holistic spa. In 2012, she completed the development of her Aromatherapy Certification Program which is offered through Essence of Thyme College of Holistic Studies.
Colleen’s practical experience of owning and operating aromatherapy stores, creating blends for the stores, as well as providing aromatherapy courses and workshops and various aromatherapy massages and complementary treatments is reflected in the program.
Kelly Ablard, PhD, RA®, EOT®, MIFPA
Kelly stumbled upon essential oils early in life and was amazed by their beautiful fragrances and healing benefits. But it wasn’t until years later, when she was working on her doctorate degree in biology, that Kelly was inspired to become a registered aromatherapist. It was then that she witnessed the astonishing connection between essential oil compounds and their use in communication by many species on the planet.
As a Conservation Aromatherapist™, this knowledge continues to help her protect threatened animal and essential oil-bearing plant species, which in addition to aromatherapy, is one of Kelly’s key areas of expertise.
Kelly is a certified and registered aromatherapist and holds a PhD in Biology and an MSc in Conservation. She currently conducts research in Peru on the Endangered rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora) tree.
Essence of Thyme's faculty includes internationally acclaimed aromatherapy experts in diverse areas of specialization to help you focus your career goals. We bring these experts — and the experience of learning from them — directly to you, in exclusive lessons that are included in the Certified Master Aromatherapist Program.
advanced hydrosols and their chemistry
advanced therapeutics and usage of CO2 extracts
aromatherapy and cancer
This advanced aromatherapy certification program has been developed from recognized credible resources in the field, evidence-based research, and nearly 50 years of experience.
Tuition and Payments
Our tuition is in Canadian dollars, which may be a significant savings in your country. Use the currency converter below to calculate your cost.
We welcome students from all over the world. Click here to convert to your currency.
Eligibility requirements: proof of completion of your Level 2 aromatherapy certification program, completed application, and interview via Zoom video conference.
Your benefits don't stop when you graduate!
Even after you graduate, you'll still receive support and benefits:
- lifetime access to your course reading materials
- exclusive discounted tuition on additional expert-led courses at Essence of Thyme
- work collaboratively on research projects and publications
- continued access to our private Student Forum and Essential Library
- the option to partner with us as an Essence of Thyme affiliate, promote our aromatherapy certification programs, and earn income